Friday, January 4, 2013

November 27, 1964



45
1
Beatles--I Feel Fine/She's a Woman
2
2
Bobby Vinton--Mr. Lonely
1
3
Kinks--You Really Got Me
3
4
Gestures--Run, Run, Run
10
5
Newbeats--Pink Dally Rue
22
6
Dave Clark Five--Any Way You Want It
11
7
Sandie Shaw--(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me
7
8
Four Seasons--Big Man in Town
9
9
Rolling Stones--Time is on My Side
5
10
Jay & the Americans--Come a Little Bit Closer
16
11
Beach Boys--Dance, Dance, Dance
6
12
Newbeats--Everything's Alright
8
13
Brenda Lee--Is It True?
23
14
Ronnie Dove--Right or Wrong
41
15
Sheridan Hollenbeck--Tokyo Melody
12
16
Supremes--Baby Love
15
17
Dionne Warwick--Reach Out For Me
19
18
Bobby Bare--Four Strong Winds
36
19
Waikikis--Hawaii Tattoo
13
20
Lorne Greene--Ringo
48
21
Marianne Faithfull--As Tears Go By
14
22
Johnny Rivers--Mountain of Love
17
23
Jerry Wallace--Careless Hands
31
24
"You Know Who" Group--Roses Are Red My Love
30
25
Mickey Lee Lane--Shaggy Dog
27
26
Little Anthony & the Imperials--Goin' Out of My Head
25
27
Julie Rogers--The Wedding
35
28
Manfred Mann--Sha La La
18
29
Honeycombs--Have I the Right
28
30
Peter & Gordon--I Don't Want to See You Again
---
31
Tony Bennett--Who Can I Turn to
21
32
Gene Pitney--I'm Gonna Be Strong
39
33
Wailers--You Better Believe It
34
34
Al Martino--We Could
32
35
Phyllis McGuire--I Don't Want to Walk Without You
20
36
Elvis Presley--Ain't That Loving You Baby
---
37
Impressions--Amen
---
38
Johnny Tillotson--She Understands Me
26
39
Gladys Knight & the Pips--Either Way I Lose
---
40
Searchers--Love Potion Number Nine
---
41
Dave Lewis--Honky Tonk
38
42
Chad & Jeremy--Willow Weep For Me
---
43
Herman's Hermits--I'm Into Something Good
46
44
Larks--The Jerk
49
45
Jimmy Hanna--Busybody
---
46
Jan & Dean--Sidewalk Surfin'
47
47
Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass--South of the Border
40
48
Matt Monro--Walk Away
---
49
Sir Raleigh & the Cupons--White Cliffs of Dover
---
50
Henry Mancini & His Orchestra--Dear Heart


Two non-Billboard debuts this week.  Dave Lewis is back with his version of “Honky Tonk,” which will peak at number 32 in two weeks, and Seattle-based Sir Raleigh and the Cupons [sic] will get to number 23 with their version of the British World War II standard “White Cliffs of Dover,” an attempt to cash in on 1964’s love affair with everything British.  Sir Raleigh was actually transplanted Canadian Dewey Martin, who in 1966 will be in Los Angeles and become the drummer of the Buffalo Springfield.

All the other debuts made the top 40 at Billboard, and most fared similarly well here as there.  Exceptions: Herman’s Hermits’ “I’m Into Something Good” was a number 13 BB hit that will not get any higher here at KJR than its number 43 spot this week, and Henry Mancini’s “Dear Heart” only reached number 77 in Billboard but will make it to number 29 here.

The Beatles’ “I Feel Fine” makes a huge jump from 45 to 1, as its b-side, “I’m a Woman,” gets added to the survey.  On the other hand, “Boys” drops completely off the list from number 4.

No Discovery again this week.

4 comments:

  1. When Pat O'Day announced the number one single that Friday a few minutes before six PM, he said "Debuting at number one". I remember it well. The opening note hit me like nothing had hit me before. Pure electronic feedback that awakened my soul, as if I were being born. I was twelve years old. Pat then said it was a "double sided hit" and played She's a Woman. I will remember this until my last breath in this world, as it has profoundly influenced my life. Thanks for republishing historical FAB 50's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Benjamin! Thanks so much for sharing that.

      Delete
  2. Joey, Here is a link to a PDF where I describe in more detail what November 27 1964, and that day's FAB 50 meant to me. I created it for a friend's 14-year-old daughter in Tacoma, who is interested in the Beatles. It is an excuse for me to properly record my memories as I experienced it - real time. The song list corresponds to audio CD's that I also created for her.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/g25itpv29x1qsbi/Vic%20Four.pdf?dl=0

    ReplyDelete