Saturday, March 29, 2014

November 17, 1967



1
1
Monkees--Daydream Believer
---
2
Beatles--I Am the Walrus
6
3
Beach Boys--Wild Honey
2
4
Strawberry Alarm Clock--Incense and Peppermints
3
5
Cher--You Better Sit Down Kids
5
6
Small Faces--Itchycoo Park
7
7
Bards--Never Too Much Love
9
8
Kenny O'Dell--Beautiful People
4
9
Cowsills--The Rain, the Park & Other Things
8
10
Noel Harrison--Suzanne
12
11
Rose Garden--Next Plane to London
10
12
Who-- I Can See For Miles
27
13
Royal Guardsmen--Snoopy's Christmas
16
14
Stone Poneys Featuring Linda Ronstadt--Different Drum
15
15
Dionne Warwick--I Say a Little Prayer
17
16
Bee Gees--(The Lights Went Out in) Massachusetts
11
17
Lulu--To Sir With Love
14
18
Sam & Dave--Soul Man
13
19
Mamas & Papas--Glad to Be Unhappy
29
20
Turtles--She's My Girl
22
21
Hugo Montenegro, His Orchestra and Chorus--For a Few Dollars More
19
22
Ray Charles--Yesterday
26
23
Diana Ross & the Supremes--In and Out of Love
44
24
Donovan--Wear Your Love Like Heaven
18
25
Doors--People Are Strange
43
26
Johnny Rivers--Summer Rain
39
27
Spanky & Our Gang--Lazy Day
20
28
Bee Gees--Holiday
25
29
Jimmie Rodgers--Child of Clay
32
30
Victor Lundberg--An Open Letter to My Teenage Son
31
31
Neil Diamond--Kentucky Woman
36
32
5th Dimension--Paper Cup
28
33
Bobby Vinton--Please Love Me Forever
48
34
Surprise Package--The Other Me
---
35
Union Gap Featuring Gary Puckett--Woman, Woman
---
36
Harpers Bizarre--Chattanooga Choo Choo
24
37
Ohio Express--Beg, Borrow and Steal
38
38
Jay & the Techniques--Keep the Ball Rollin'
23
39
Box Tops--The Letter
35
40
Vikki Carr--It Must be Him
37
41
Wilson Pickett--Stag-o-Lee
30
42
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell--Your Precious Love
---
43
October Country--October Country
---
44
Peter, Paul & Mary--Too Much of Nothing
---
45
Paul Revere & the Raiders--Do Unto Others
42
46
Box Tops--Neon Rainbow
34
47
Stevie Wonder--I'm Wondering
47
48
Tremeloes--Even the Bad Times Are Good
41
49
Young Rascals--How Can I Be Sure
45
50
Tommy James & the Shondells--Out of the Blue


“I Am the Walrus” debuts at number two; it was only a number 56 BB hit, but it was the b-side of “Hello Goodbye,” which was number one.  Here, “Walrus” will spend three weeks at number two, listed by itself, then another week at number two with “HG” listed as the b-side.  Then the two songs will reverse their order as they move into the number one position.

“Do Unto Others” was the b-side of Paul Revere & the Raiders’ “Peace of Mind.”  Nationally, “Peace of Mind” got to number 42 and “Do Unto Others” number 102.  Here, “Do Unto Others” will get all the way to number four, while “Peace of Mind” will not make the survey.

“October Country” by October Country is a non-BB hit that will peak here at number 15; fellow Southern California vocal group Harpers Bizarre will get to number eleven with their version of the oldie “Chattanooga Choo Choo,” which only made it to number 45 in Billboard.

2 comments:

  1. One of the benefits of lists such as this are the documentation of songs which were regional hits, but which never ruffled the Billboard chart. Two examples are October Country, which I loved as a kid, but could find absolutely nothing about for many years into adulthood, and Michael Parks' Long Lonely Highway.
    Finally, when the Internet happened, information about these obscure bands started to filter out. And, CD's with these bands appeared, also.
    Thank you very much for transcribing these KJR lists! For the past 20 years, I've been collecting songs and creating mix CDs which contain what I call The Soundtrack of My Life. I had been using Billboard lists to order these, but I will now rearrange them (and maybe add a few songs which I've rediscovered thanks to these lists) based on the info you've posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Brian! As a fellow mix-CD obsessive it's great to hear that I'm influencing what you're doing. When I was a kid my family got the Times rather than the P-I, and the Times printed a "Best-Selling Records in Seattle" Top 20 from 1965-72. About 1980, when I was a student at the UW, I got the idea to go to the microfilm and transcribe those top 20s; then I started looking for the records at Golden Oldies. At some point later on it occurred to me to check whether the P-I had ever had anything similar, and was delighted to find the KJR Fab 50s. This gave me a much longer want list, which I gradually whittled down with used records and reissue CDs. Now, though, there's not much you can't find on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete