Friday, February 7, 2014

August 4, 1967


7
1
Bobby Vee--Come Back When You Grow Up
9
2
Bobbie Gentry--Ode to Billie Joe
6
3
Beatles--All You Need is Love/Baby You're a Rich Man
2
4
Monkees--Pleasant Valley Sunday
1
5
Doors--Light My Fire
3
6
Hollies--Carrie-Anne
5
7
Tremeloes--Silence is Golden
4
8
Van Morrison-Brown Eyed Girl
17
9
Jay & the Techniques--Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie
8
10
Music Explosion--Little Bit o' Soul
10
11
Stevie Wonder--I Was Made to Love Her
13
12
Don & the Goodtimes--Happy and Me
20
13
Simon & Garfunkel--Fakin' It
32
14
Jim Valley--Try, Try, Try
16
15
Young Rascals--A Girl Like You
11
16
Beatles--Lovely Rita
12
17
Jefferson Airplane--White Rabbit
14
18
Neil Diamond--I Thank the Lord For the Night Time
34
19
Bunny Sigler--Let the Good Times Roll & Feel So Good
15
20
Bar-Kays--Soul Finger
19
21
Ian & Sylvia--Lovin' Sound
33
22
Frank Sinatra--The World We Knew (Over and Over)
22
23
Bee Gees--To Love Somebody
38
24
Moby Grape--Omaha
---
25
Diana Ross & the Supremes--Reflections
18
26
Scott McKenzie--San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)
21
27
Aretha Franklin--Baby I Love You
24
28
Frankie Valli--Can't Take My Eyes Off You
26
29
Buckinghams--Mercy, Mercy, Mercy
27
30
Association--Windy
29
31
Merry-Go-Round--You're a Very Lovely Woman
37
32
Eric Burdon & the Animals--San Franciscan Nights
23
33
Janis Ian--Society's Child (Baby I've Been Thinking)
---
34
Harpers Bizarre--Anything Goes
---
35
Donovan--There is a Mountain
43
36
James Brown--Cold Sweat - Part 1
49
37
Turtles--You Know What I Mean
25
38
Petula Clark--Don't Sleep in the Subway
---
39
Peter, Paul & Mary--I Dig Rock and Roll Music
---
40
Box Tops--The Letter
40
41
Sonny & Cher--It's the Little Things
47
42
Third Rail--Run, Run, Run
30
43
Crispian St. Peters--You Were On My Mind
---
44
Grass Roots--Things I Should Have Said
46
45
Roy Orbison--Cry Softly Lonely One
---
46
Beach Boys--Heroes and Villains
31
47
Fifth Estate--Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead
50
48
Smokey Robinson & the Miracles--More Love
28
49
Dean Martin--In the Chapel in the Moonlight
36
50
Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart--Out & About


“Words” drops back off, leaving “Pleasant Valley Sunday” on its own.  “Words” will return for one week at the end of the month.

The week’s debuts were all top 50 Billboard hits.  Harpers Bizarre’s version of the old standard “Anything Goes” will get up to number nine here, versus its number 43 peak in BB.  Conversely, the Beach Boys’ “Heroes and Villains,” a number twelve BB hit, will peak here next week at number 35.

A personal aside: This was an important week for me, as I turned eight years old and got my own transistor radio as a gift.  I had never listened to Top 40 radio before--my parents were always tuned to easy listening KOMO--though I was a big Beatles and Monkees fan thanks to TV.  I can remember my dad saying, “Here, I’ll find a station you’ll like” and tuning it to 1300 KOL, KJR’s nearest competitor; I have no idea why he didn’t pick KJR.  Sticking up for the underdog, perhaps.  At any rate, my memory is that I didn’t touch the tuner dial for the next two years, until Johnny Cash and Hee Haw inspired me to start listening to country KAYO.  I didn’t become a regular KJR listener until 1973.

The songs at the two through five positions on this week’s survey all strongly remind me of the early days with my new radio, as do debuts “Anything Goes,” “The Letter” and “I Dig Rock and Roll Music.”  As an eight-year-old I took “I Dig Rock and Roll Music” at face value; it was years later that I heard the song and suddenly realized that they were being sarcastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment