Monday, October 12, 2020

May 4, 1973

1

1

Dawn Featuring Tony Orlando--Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree

2

2

Sweet--Little Willy

4

3

Donny Osmond--The Twelfth of Never

5

4

Clint Holmes--Playground in My Mind

3

5

Vicki Lawrence--The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia

15

6

Edgar Winter Group--Frankenstein

8

7

Gilbert O'Sullivan--Out of the Question

10

8

Paul McCartney & Wings--My Love

17

9

Elton John--Daniel

14

10

Doobie Brothers--Long Train Runnin'

11

11

Raspberries--Let's Pretend

19

12

Edward Bear--Close Your Eyes

6

13

Stealer's Wheel--Stuck in the Middle With You

7

14

Roberta Flack--Killing Me Softly With His Song

12

15

Stevie Wonder--You Are the Sunshine of My Life

13

16

War--The Cisco Kid

24

17

Gunhill Road--Back When My Hair Was Short

9

18

Steely Dan--Reeling in the Years

25

19

Loggins & Messina--Thinking of You

18

20

Skylark--Wildflower

16

21

Carpenters--Sing

20

22

Gladys Knight & the Pips--Neither One of Us (Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye)

32

23

Spinners--One of a Kind (Love Affair)

35

24

Dr. John--Right Place, Wrong Time

23

25

Dobie Gray--Drift Away

34

26

Barry White--I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More Baby

27

27

Elvis Presley--Steamroller Blues

---

28

Jim Croce--Bad, Bad Leroy Brown

29

29

Hypnotics--Beware of the Stranger

40

30

Michael Jackson--With a Child's Heart

37

31

Sylvia--Pillow Talk

---

32

Barbara Fairchild--Teddy Bear Song

---

33

Albert Hammond--The Free Electric Band

38

34

New York City--I'm Doin' Fine Now

28

35

Helen Reddy--Peaceful

---

36

J. Geils Band--Give it to Me

36

37

Jud Strunk--Daisy a Day

---

38

Focus--Hocus Pocus

22

39

Carly Simon--The Right Thing to Do

---

40

Perry Como--And I Love You So

 

“You’re So Vain” finally drops off after 23 weeks on the survey.

Six debuts. Two will do significantly better here than nationally: Barbara Fairchild’s “Teddy Bear Song,” a number one country hit, got to number 32 in the pop Hot 100 and will make it to number five at KJR; and “Free Electric Band” by Albert Hammond, number 48 at Billboard, will hit number eleven here. “Hocus Pocus” by Dutch prog group Focus will come up short (9BB/34KJR), while the other three will perform pretty much the same here as elsewhere. 

1 comment:

  1. This was right before my high school graduation. I thought I would remember all the songs from such a memorable period of my life. It surprised me how many of these songs I did not know. I had no idea that KJR was playing a Perry Como song during my senior year.

    ReplyDelete